Induction Week Timetable September 2017
Check out the UCL New Students site before you start in UCL!
|Thurs 21, Fri 22 September 2017|
|9.30 - 17.00||International Students Orientation programme (ISOP) Enrolment (optional, will be online also - see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/iss/orientation)||Register as part of pre-enrolment. Front Quadrangle, main UCL entrance, - see C3 on *Map*|
|Sat 23, Sun 24 September 2017|
|10.00 - 16.00||Weekend Enrolment** - Enrolment continues throughout the following 2 weeks - see notes on Enrolment below||UCL Student Centre, see C3 on *Map*|
|Monday 25 September|
|10.00 - 10.30||Meet Louise Gaynor for Tour of UCLIC||Hub room 2, 2nd floor, 66-72 Gower Street Map|
|10.30 - 11.30||Meet Sarah Turnbull and IT accounts set up (Computer Science Postgraduate administrator)||Hub Room 4, 66-72 Gower St (GS), see Map|
|13.00 - 14.00||Meet UCLIC academics||Room G22, Pearson Building NE Entrance map|
|14.00 - 16.00||UCLIC PhD Induction - Louise Gaynor||Hub room 2, 66-72 Gower Street|
|16.00 - 18.00||UCLIC Start of Term reception||IOE Rm 642, see Map|
|Tuesday 26 September|
|10.30 - 11.30||Library Tour and Computer Science (CS) Induction with Sarah Turnbull||Science Library, DMS Watson, Map Meet on 4th floor by the display cases|
|12.30 - 13.00||Introduction to the Pyschology (PALS) Division - Head of Psychology Division||Room 305, 26 Bedford Way, see Map|
|13.00 - 13.15||Ethics applications and risk assessments (in Psychology Division but relevant to all students) - Dr Adam Harris||As above|
|13.25 - 13.40||Postgraduate Peer Group (PPG) - student led group, UCLIC-CS students welcome||As above|
|13.40 - 14.00||Sustainability at UCL - John Draper||As above|
|15.00 - 16.00||CS Health and Safety induction - Sarah Turnbull||Room 405, 66-72 GS - Map|
|17.00 - 20.00||Faculty of Brain Sciences Induction followed by Welcome reception||Logan Hall, Level 1, 20 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL - see Map|
|Wednesday 27 September|
|14.00 - 15.00||Briefing re TA'ing and procedures for payment for all students - Judith Borghouts, Jo Pearson, Louise Gaynor||Room 405, 66-72 Gower Street Map|
|15.00 - 16.00||UCLIC seminar - Prof. Steve Whittaker||Malet Place Engineering Building room 6.12 - see Map|
|17.00 - 19.00||Survival Guide to Studying and Living in the UK (EU and Overseas students only)||B05/B15, Darwin Building - Access is via Malet Place, just off Torrington Place (see here for further details - ucl.ac.uk/maps/darwin-building)|
|Thursday 28 September|
|11.00 - 12.00||The Student's Union and Volunteering||Room 405, 66-72 GS - Map|
|12.00 - 15.00||Enrolment for new PhD students (can be any time throughout the week though)||UCL Student Centre|
|15.00 - 16.00||Graduate Tutor Welcome - Prof. Anthony Hunter||Room 405, 66 - 72 GS|
|16.00 - 18.00||PhD welcome party||Common Room, Ground Floor, 66-72 GS|
|Friday 29 September|
|11.00 - 12.30||Doctoral School Welcome Event - the purpose of this short welcome is to let students know something about the wealth of facilities offered to research students, and to give new students a flavour of the exciting research community at UCL - please register at this link.||Logan Hall, UCL institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way, see Map|
|18.00 - 21.00||UCLIC Promotion Celebratory Drinks||The Resting Hare restinghare.com|
|Sat 30 Sept and Sun 1 October 2017|
|10.30 - 16.00||UCLU Welcome Fair||Wilkins Building and Front Quad|
Please also note that there will be Inductions on the Doctoral Skills Development programme and the Research Student Log from the Doctoral School. There will be three identical sessions, so students only need attend one. The dates of these sessions are as follows:
1 and 8 November 2017 and 31 January 2018 - you can register during Induction week, please see:
courses.grad.ucl.ac.uk/course-details.pht?course_ID=2375 -opens on Mon 25 Sept 2017.
**Notes on Enrolment
Once you have completed pre-enrolment you will be sent an email telling you when and where to enrol. If you fail to complete pre-enrolment or don't receive any communication about these arrangements before you are due to arrive please contact the New Students Team (email@example.com). All students are required to enrol in person within the two weeks from their official programme start date. This normally takes place at the Student Centre, but there will be additional enrolment centres during Induction week - please go to the Front Quad where volunteers will be able to advise where to go. There are specific timeslots for specific programmes, but it's possible to enrol at any time. On completion of enrolment you will then be able to access all the facilities and services you are entitled to as a student at UCL.
All students should make sure they are able to produce their Student Reference Number on request. You can find this on your offer letter from UCL. Please bring a copy of your offer letter with you when you come to enrol.
You will be asked to provide:
• An accepted form of photographic identification. UCL's preferred form of identification is a valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport the following will be accepted forms of identification; a UK photo driving licence where this indicates the holder was born in the UK (a valid provisional licence is acceptable), a European National Identity Card, and Armed Forces Identity Card We will also accept an original birth certificate, adoption certificate or certificate of naturalisation when accompanied with additional photographic identification.
• If you are coming to study at UCL from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland, the presentation of a valid passport and visa to study in the UK is a mandatory requirement. You will need to provide evidence that you have permission to be in the UK that has not expired, does not prohibit study and does not prohibit study at UCL. Information on whether you require a visa to study in the UK, how to apply, guidance notes and application forms are available from the GOV.UK website. UCL is not permitted to allow students to enrol without the correct documentation so please make sure that you have all the required documentation before you travel to UCL.
• If you have a Tier 4 visa, you will need to have collected your BRP prior to enrolling.
• If you are registering at UCL while your application for a visa is in process of being considered in the UK, you must ensure that you have copies of your passport details page and your previous leave to remain in the UK and bring with you any acknowledgement that you have from the Home Office of your application. Without this, we cannot enrol you.
• If you are successful with your application, it is important that you take your passport and visa to the Student Centre as soon as possible for scanning.If you are successful with your application, it is important that you take your passport and visa to the Student Centre as soon as possible for scanning.
• If you have not yet done so, you will also need to pay your tuition fees, or provide evidence of a sponsor if you have not already done this.
Statement of Student Status
When you have completed enrolment, you will be given an enrolment confirmation letter which is also known as a Statement of Student Status. This is an official document confirming that you are a UCL student. You will present this statement to obtain your UCL ID card and can also use this as evidence to open a student bank account and claim council tax exemption (full time students only). It is essential that your home, contact and term-time addresses are up to date so that the correct information will appear on this letter.
Info and Forms
PhD Handbook 2017-18
Psychology MSc modules available for PhD students-2017
Computer Science modules available for PhD students-2017 - see Course structure tab
Courses sign up sheet
Postgraduate Peer Group Flyer - peer group of students in Psychology Division who run seminars, workshops, social events for other students - open to UCLIC students